Vaibhav Lakshmi Puja is an important religious ceremony that takes place during the Vaibhava Lakshmi Vrat, each Margashirsha moth. During this ritual, the Goddess of wealth, Vaibhavalakshmi is invited to the house and she is asked for her blessing. She can bestow her devotees with her protection from misfortune, happiness, beauty, and prosperity.
In order to achieve the blessing, the Vaibhav Lakshmi Puja must be done every Friday for eleven or twenty-one times, especially if the devotee is unable to follow the tradition on consecutive Fridays.
As part of the tradition, the devotees prepare a pious observance by fasting the entire day.it is allowed to eat milk and fruits to regain strength before the day ends. The ceremony of the Vaibhav Lakshmi Puja takes place in the evening, right after the sunsets. In the night, after presenting an offering to the goodness, the devotees can have a meal. Here are some indications of the preparations and traditions that need to be followed.
Preparations and steps followed for a Vaibhav Lakshmi Puja
Vrat during the day
The worshipers should start the day early. It is recommended to recite through the day phrases dedicated to the goddess such as “Jai Maha Lakshmi” filled with devotion and faith.
Steps to prepare the Puja
Before the Puja takes place, there are some previous preparations that need to be done:
- The devotee must take a shower before starting the preparations.
- The area destined to place the altar during the Puja must be first cleaned. Cleanliness is a tribute highly appreciated by the goodness.
- Prepare a rangoli made with uncooked rice or wheat in the form of a square in the area.
- Clean and arrange nearby the Puja area the images of the Ashtalakshmi. You can include Chandan and kumkum near these images and in the lamps placed here.
How to prepare the Kalasam
- First, you need a vessel or Kumbh. As preparation, it is filled with water, turmeric powder, tulasi, rose water, kumkum, and coins.
- Apart from this vessel, prepare a wider plate and fill it with rice or wheat. Then you may sprinkled turmeric on it. Place the Kalasam over the grains.
- The vessel or Kumbh is then filled previously must be covered with another plate or a coconut.
- On the top of the coconut or plate cover, place a new or excellent condition cloth freshly washed.
- Lastly, decorate the cloth with flowers and coins.
During the Puja
In order to worship the goddess, different prayers can be done like Pooja Archana and Ganapati Puja. The Naivedya is the food offered in the altar to the goddess, it should be offered a sweet dish. The devotees must pray and ask for forgiveness for the bad actions and mistakes made with or without intention during the Puja.
What to do once the Puja ends
Once the Puja is done, you can kindly move the kalasam apart and remove the Naivediyam from the altar. The rice used the previous day is removed from the kalasam and it can be used for cocking dishes or feeding the bids. The water present inside the kalasam vessel can be spread out around the house or used to water the plants.